Rui Torres is a Portuguese poet, researcher, and professor who has made significant contributions to the field of digital poetry. He has been exploring the intersection of poetry and technology since the 1990s, creating innovative works that combine language, sound, and visuals in new and exciting ways.
Early Career and Influences
Torres was born in Porto, Portugal in 1966. He studied Portuguese and English Literature at the University of Porto, where he later earned his Ph.D. in Literature. His early work was heavily influenced by the Portuguese avant-garde movement of the 1960s, which challenged traditional forms of poetry and embraced experimentation and innovation.
Exploring Digital Poetry
In the early 1990s, Torres became interested in the possibilities of digital technology for poetry. He began experimenting with hypertext, creating works that allowed readers to navigate through different paths and narratives. He also explored the use of sound and visuals in poetry, creating multimedia works that combined text, images, and sounds.
- PO.EX: Textos Teóricos e Documentais da Poesia Experimental Portuguesa (1999): This book, co-edited by Torres, is a seminal work in the study of Portuguese experimental poetry. It includes essays, manifestos, and other documents that provide insight into the movement.
- Collaborative Poetics (2007): This project, co-created by Torres and other poets, explores the possibilities of collaborative poetry through digital technology. The project includes a website where users can create and share their own collaborative poems.
- OS MAPAS DO ACASO (2014): This multimedia work, created by Torres and artist Nuno F. Ferreira, combines text, sound, and visuals to create an immersive experience for the reader. The work explores themes of chance and randomness.
Rui Torres as a Professor and Researcher
Torres is currently a professor of Digital Media and Literature at the University Fernando Pessoa in Porto, Portugal. He has also been involved in numerous research projects related to digital literature and poetry. He is a co-founder of the ELO (Electronic Literature Organization), an international organization that promotes the creation and study of digital literature.
Product Bundle for Rui Torres – WooCommerce
For fans of Rui Torres’ work, we have put together a product bundle that includes some of his most notable works:
- PO.EX: Textos Teóricos e Documentais da Poesia Experimental Portuguesa
- Collaborative Poetics
- OS MAPAS DO ACASO
Order now and get a 10% discount on the bundle!
Features of Rui Torres – WooCommerce Product
- Includes three of Rui Torres’ most notable works
- High-quality, digital versions of each work
- Compatible with most e-readers and devices
- Easy to download and access
- Discounted price for purchasing the bundle
Question about Rui Torres
What motivated Rui Torres to explore the possibilities of digital technology for poetry?
Rui Torres is a pioneering figure in the world of digital poetry, whose innovative works have pushed the boundaries of what is possible with language, sound, and visuals. His influence can be seen in the work of countless poets and artists who have been inspired by his vision and creativity.